Do you often have to scratch your itchy scalp? This can be embarrassing in public, and cause a lot of discomfort and even hair loss.
Some of the most common causes are dandruff, dry scalp, sebaceous cysts, excessive anxiety, poor hair care, fungus and viral infections, and poor diet.
There are many ways you can treat an itchy scalp without spending a lot of money. You can use some common kitchen ingredients to treat itchy scalp.
Here are the top home remedies for an itchy scalp.
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil, with its powerful natural antifungal, anti-inflammation and antibacterial properties, can be used to treat itchy scalp. You can use tea tree oil in various ways, for instance:
- You can add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree oil to one-half cup of baby shampoo and use it daily until the condition of your scalp improves.
- Another option is to dilute two or three drops of tea tree oil in one tablespoon of vegetable oil and massage the mixture onto your scalp. With regular use, this remedy will heal a dry, itchy scalp within a week or two.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice will help treat an itchy and dry scalp because of its antiseptic properties. It is particularly useful when dealing with dandruff.
- You can simply apply fresh lemon juice thoroughly on the scalp. Leave it on for five minutes and then shampoo your hair. If you do not have dandruff, dilute the lemon juice in water.
- Alternately, you can mix lemon juice with yogurt and apply it on your scalp for a few minutes before washing your hair with a mild shampoo. Repeat at least daily until itchiness and dryness disappears.
3. Baking Soda
Another readily available ingredient that can relieve an itchy scalp is baking soda. It helps relieve itching by exfoliating the scalp and controlling dandruff caused by overactive fungi.
- Make a paste with baking soda and water and apply it directly onto your scalp. For best results, rub some olive oil on your scalp before applying the baking soda paste.
- Allow it to soak into your scalp for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse well with water.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has powerful anti-inflammation properties that help kill the yeast and virus that can cause itchy scalp. Also, apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of the scalp, which may help relieve itching and dryness.
- Rinse your hair and scalp with water and allow it to dry.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Apply this mixture directly onto your scalp with the help of cotton balls. Spray it on your scalp.
- After few minutes, shampoo with normal water.
Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel contains moisturizing properties, which may relieve excessive dryness and itching. If fresh aloe vera gel is not available, you can purchase the gel.
- Spread some fresh aloe vera gel onto your scalp using your fingers.
- Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil creates a barrier that helps keep skin moisturized and hence it is an effective way to treat an itchy scalp.
- Rub a little coconut oil onto the scalp after washing your hair your scalp when it is clean. Leave it on for at least half an hour and then wash it out with a perfume-free shampoo. Follow this simple remedy three times a week.
- Another option is to gently heat coconut oil so that it melts, add it to your shampoo before washing your hair.