Freckles are flat, round and brown spots of different sizes that appear on the skin. According to the American Association of Dermatologists (AAD), freckles are a sign of skin damage.
Some common causes of freckles are too much exposure to sunlight, genetics and hormonal imbalance. Though freckles could be present anywhere on the body, they appear mostly on areas that are often exposed to the sun’s rays.
There are cosmetic treatments to remove freckles, but they can be very expensive. You can easily get rid of them by trying several natural treatments at home.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a highly effective ingredient for treating freckles as well as brown spots. Lemon juice has skin lightening properties that will nicely bleach the dark spots on your skin.
- Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected skin and gently massage the area. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice a day.
- Another option is to use a lemon scrub. Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle one-half teaspoon of sugar on it. Gently scrub your skin with it for a few minutes and then wash your skin with water. Do this once or twice a week on a regular basis.
2. Sour Cream
The lactic acid present in sour milk can help a lot to get rid of freckles. It is particularly useful for those with sensitive skin.
- Apply some sour cream on the affected skin and allow it to dry for a few minutes. Instead of rinsing it off with water, you must gently wipe it off with a soft tissue or a towel. Then apply some moisturizer. This remedy will not cause skin irritation or dryness. Do this at least once daily until the freckles go away.
- Alternatively, you can rinse the affected skin with sour milk daily. If you do not have sour milk, use yogurt.
Honey is excellent for fading freckles because it contains enzymes that help lighten skin pigmentation. Plus, being a natural humectant, it is great for moisurizing your skin.
- Mix honey and water and heat it slightly in a microwave. Apply it on the affected area and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Finally rinse the area thoroughly with warm water. Do this daily for a several weeks.
- You can also make an herbal mask by mixing a little wheat germ with warm honey. Apply this mask and allow it to sit for about 10 minutes. Rinse the area with warm water and then wash it again with cold water. Repeat two to three times a week for a couple of months. This is one of the most effective home remedies for freckles.
- Another option is to make a mixture of honey and yogurt, and apply it on the freckles for 30 minutes daily until you get the desired results.