Reheating dinner is a way of life. Whether it’s Friday night and you need to clean out your fridge, or you want to turn your leftovers from last night into a whole new meal, our microwaves are our handy kitchen companions. But research shows that reheating some of your favorite foods can be dangerous to your health, especially if they were stored incorrectly beforehand.
Celery, Spinach and Beets:
Heat can cause the nitrates of these veggies to turn toxic—and releasecarcinogenic properties—when they’re heated up a second time. So it’s best to take these foods go out of whatever dish you’re reheating.
In general, mushrooms, should be eaten and finished right after preparation. Proteins can deteriorate as soon as you cut them up, and that’s bad news for your belly.
Reheating this protein powerhouse when it’s boiled or scrambled can be toxic, and can wreak havoc in your digestive system.
Potatoes are tricky—if they’re left to cool down at room temperature instead of immediately refrigerating, the warm temperatures can promote the growth of botulism, a rare bacteria. Botulism can’t be killed with a quick zap in the microwave, so it’s best to refrigerate them immediately to avoid any problems with reheating.