Are you worried about a receding hairline or bald patches? Do you feel your hair is becoming thinner or grayer? When people notice their hair is changing, this can be a blow to their confidence. Our hair is often a part of our identity, so we might go to great lengths to preserve it.
This natural home remedy might not sound that appealing, but it has been a successful treatment for hair loss for decades. Onion and onion juice can help you re-grow your hair. Read on to find out how and why it works.
How Onion Helps in Hair Growth?
Onion is rich in sulfur. This mineral is one of the main building blocks of hair. It improves blood circulation and provides the hair follicles with sufficient nourishment. Onion also has anti-bacterial properties, so it helps with scalp infections that might contribute to hair loss. Furthermore, it contains the enzyme catalase, which is an anti-oxidant that can prevent premature graying.
Onion’s potential as a potent home remedy for hair loss has also been studied scientifically. In 2002, the Journal of Dermatology published a small study that looked into the use of onion juice for alopecia areata (an autoimmune disease that presents with patchy hair loss). Participants who applied onion juice twice daily for two months experienced much better hair re-growth rates compared to those who only used tap water. Men had better success with the treatment than did women.
How to Make Onion Rinse For Hair Growth
Onion juice for hair growth
- Peel the onions and chop them into small pieces.
- Squeeze the juice out. To extract the juice, you can use a food processor, a blender, a grater or a juicer.
- Massage the juice into your scalp or cover the bald patches.
- Leave on for at least 15 minutes (longer if you can tolerate the smell) and then wash out using a mild shampoo.
Onion and honey mix for hair growth
- Mix ¼ cup of onion juice with 1 tablespoon of honey (if more mixture is required, double the amounts).
- Apply the paste onto your scalp.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- You can also cover it with a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off.