Most people suffer from some type of unwanted skin darkening caused by a range of reasons, such as chafing, sun exposure, freckles, scars, acne, skin irritations, pigmentation, skin allergies, rashes, contact spots, genetics, etc.But it doesn’t have to cost a lot to fix this problem, baking soda is an excellent remedy for treating uneven skin, while also brightening it. Baking soda acts as an exfoliator, skin – brightener, teeth whitener, etc. It is a natural, effective and cost affordable remedy.
Is Baking Soda good for Skin Whitening?
Baking soda is composed of sodium and a pH neutralizer which exfoliates the dead skin cells throughout the skin.
- The pH of baking soda helps to neutralize the acid– alkaline nature of the skin.
- It acts as an exfoliant that removes the cellular damage in the darkened skin.
- Regular application will make your skin whiter, softer and shinier.
- It has anti – bacterial, anti – fungal, antiseptic and anti – inflammatory properties that clear all the infection on the skin along with its scars.
- It acts as good oil – absorbing agent to clear excess oil.
- It evens the skin tone and prevents the buildup from clogged pores. . It deeply cleanses skin by absorbing the excess oil.
How to use Baking Soda for Skin Whitening:
1. Baking Soda with Water
The fine particles in baking soda removes the dead skin cells to give an even skin tone.
- Mix baking soda and water in a 2:1 ratio.
- Apply this paste on the affected skin.
- Massage gently in circular motion then leave on for a few minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm then cold water and dry the skin.
- Only apply 3-4 times a week.
- Note: Rosewater or buttermilk or almond milk can be used instead of normal water.
- You can add 1 drop of any essential oil for a relaxing effect.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of warm water.
- Wash the affected area and apply.
- Let it dry for few minutes and wash off with warm water then dry the skin.
- Scrub baking soda gently on the affected skin. Especially if you have oily skin.
- Or you can add some baking soda in your cleanser and use as normal.
- Repeat this process regularly.
2. Baking Soda with Honey
Honey helps to fight against bacteria, tightens the skin pores, protects skin from sun damage and moisturizes the skin. Baking soda exfoliates the skin to reduce redness caused by breakouts and thus boosts proper circulation.
- Mix baking soda and honey in 1:2 ratio to make fine paste.
- Apply this on the affected skin.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and then wash off with water.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of extra – virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Apply on the affected skin and massage gently in circular motion.
- Wash it with lukewarm water after 10 minutes.
- Apply once a week.
3. Baking Soda with Oat Flour
Oatmeal and baking soda have a grainy texture that exfoliates the skin to remove the dead skin cells and activates the cells to lighten it.
- Stir 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and water and add 2 tablespoons of oat flour.
- Apply on the affected skin.
- Scrub it gently and leave it on for 2 – 3 minutes before washing off.
- Mix 4 – 5 teaspoons of oats, 1 tablespoon of honey and a few drops of water in 2 – 3 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Stir it well and apply on the face and neck.
- Wash after 10-15 minutes.