Diabetes, also called diabetes mellitus, has become a very common heath problem. There are two main types of diabetes- type 1 diabetes in which the body does not produce insulin and type 2 diabetes in which the body does not produce enough insulin or the insulin that is produced does not work properly.
Some of the common symptoms of diabetes include fatigue, weight loss (even though you are eating more), excessive thirst, increased urination, cut and bruises that are slow to heal and blurred vision.
While there is no cure for diabetes, with your blood sugar level under control you can live a totally normal life. There are various natural remedies for diabetes that will help you control your blood sugar level.
1. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon, can be helpful for controlling diabetes due to its blood glucose lowering effects. It tends to influence the glucose metabolism all over your body rather than a particular organ or tissue.
It helps increase pancreatic insulin secretion and prevents insulin resistance. Thus, bitter gourd is beneficial for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. However, it cannot be used to entirely replace insulin treatment.
- Drink some bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach each morning. First remove the seeds of two to three bitter gourds and use a juicer to extract the juice. Add some water and then drink it. Follow this treatment daily in the morning for at least two months.
- Also, you can include one dish made of bitter gourd daily in your diet.
Powdered cinnamon has the ability to lower blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin activity. It contains bioactive components that can help prevent and fight diabetes.
Certain trials have shown that it can work as an effective option to lower blood sugar levels in cases of uncontrolled type-2 diabetes.
Cinnamon, however, should not be taken in excess because we commonly use Cassia cinnamon (found in most grocery stores) which contains a compound called coumarin. It is a toxic compound that increases the risk of liver damage.
There is another variety of this herb known as Ceylon cinnamon or “true cinnamon.” It is considered safer for health but its effects on blood glucose levels have not been studied adequately.
- Mix one-half to one teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of warm water. Drink it daily.
- Another option is to boil two to four cinnamon sticks in one cup of water and allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Drink this solution daily until you see improvement.
- You can also add cinnamon to warm beverages, smoothies and baked goods.
Fenugreek is an herb that can also be used to control diabetes, improve glucose tolerance and lower blood sugar levels due to its hypoglycaemic activity. It also stimulates the secretion of glucose-dependent insulin. Being high in fiber, it slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and sugars.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Drink the water along with the seeds in the morning on an empty stomach. Follow this remedy without fail for a few months to bring down your glucose level.
- Another option is to eat two tablespoons of powdered fenugreek seeds daily with milk.