As our hands and feet remain exposed most of the time, they have a tendency to get darker than the skin on other parts of our bodies.
Due to constant exposure to harmful ultraviolet A and B (UVA and UVB) rays of the sun, the skin produces more melanin to protect itself. More melanin leads to darker skin, especially on the hands and feet if not protected by clothes or footwear.
Along with sun exposure, darkened skin can be due to dirt, pollution and exposure to harmful chemicals.
Most people do not pay attention to the beauty of their hands and feet as they focus their care mostly on their face. It is essential to take care of the whole body equally to help prevent skin darkening and damage.
Dark feet and hands don’t look so good and can make you feel embarrassed at times. Fortunately, there are many natural ways to brighten the skin of your hands and feet.
Being rich in vitamin C, lemons help get rid of dead skin cells and improve overall skin tone. It aids in new cell growth and gives a lighter skin tone.
- Sprinkle some sugar on a halved piece of lemon. Scrub the skin with it to get rid of dirt and dead skin cells. Then, leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off. Do this once a week.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of lemon juice and honey thoroughly. Apply it on your hands and feet. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Do this twice daily.
Note: After using lemon remedies, apply a good moisturizer so that your skin doesn’t get dry. Also, avoid direct sunlight for at least 1 to 2 hours.
The presence of lactic acid in yogurt makes it an effective bleaching agent that aids in lightening skin color. The lactic acid can remove the top layer of dead skin cells to alleviate dry, scaly or darkened skin.
Plus, the proteins and vitamins in yogurt keep your skin soft and glowing.
- Smear some plain yogurt on the darkened skin areas and massage for a few minutes. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with plain water. Use this remedy 1 or 2 times daily to improve your skin tone.
- Another option is to blend equal amounts of yogurt and rose water, then mix in 1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin. Massage your hands and feet with it until fully absorbed. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off with cool water the next morning. Repeat once daily before going to bed.
Cucumbers can make your hands and feet naturally fairer over a period of time. Their skin-lightening properties can help get rid of an unpleasant tan or discoloration. It is the vitamin A in cucumbers that helps improve your skin tone by controlling your skin’s production of melanin.
This water-rich vegetable also helps keep the skin hydrated.
- Rub fresh cucumber slices on your dark skin areas for 5 minutes. Wait 15 minutes to let the skin absorb the juice before rinsing the areas with water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Massage it onto your hands and feet and wait 10 to 15 minutes. Use cold water to rinse it off. Repeat twice daily.
- Another option is to blend a small cucumber with 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel. Massage it onto your hands and feet, then leave it on for 10 minutes. Wipe off the mixture from your skin with a paper towel, then rinse your skin. Do this twice daily.