What causes dark dots on neck? Discolorations around the neck can be caused by various reasons. Depending on the severity of the problem, you might need to see a dermatologist in order to determine the exact cause. For instance, if you have dark bumps on neck, these may indicate another type of skin problem, while tiny itchy dark spots on your neck could also mean an infection, just like white spots on the neck.
Below are the common causes of black spots of discoloration around the neck.
- Prolonged exposure to the sun causes dark spots around the neck, chest and other parts of the body that are exposed to UV rays of the sun. The black spots form as a result of overproduction of melanin.
- Melasma commonly occurs during pregnancy and manifests itself with dark spots on the chest or breast area, neck and back of neck. You may also experience dark marks on hands during pregnancy.
- Dark spots on neck diabetes is a common reference associated with black spots on skin caused by diabetes (type 2: Acanthosis Nigricanis). The diabetes spots may also appear as brown spots.
- You can also get the blemishes on neck from shaving. Men who shave their beard are commonly affected with dark bumps on neck. These are commonly called razor bumps and are prevalent in black men or African Americans.
- If you like tanning, you may experience these marks on the skin from tanning.
- Skin cancer may show signs of dark dots on the neck and other parts of the body.
- Aging causes them on neck and other parts of the body as well.
- Acne black spots can also form on the back of neck.
- Poor beard shaving techniques can also result in dark spots on the chin and neck.