Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is embarrassing and can take a toll on your confidence level. Bad breath can be due to a number of reasons such as eating odorous foods, smoking, dry mouth, medical conditions, gum disease, and sinus conditions.
However, the primary cause of bad breath is the bacteria that build up on the back of your tongue or between your teeth.
Maintaining good oral health is essential to controlling bad breath. This includes regular tooth brushing, flossing and tongue scraping.
Drinking adequate amount of water throughout the day is also essential for keeping your breath fresh. Plus, after eating a meal, swish water around your mouth for a few seconds. This will loosen food particles stuck between your teeth and clean your mouth.
Along with water, you can also treat bad breath with the help of some readily available ingredients from your kitchen cupboard.
Fennel acts as an excellent mouth freshener that helps control bad breath. It also contains antimicrobial properties that fight the bacteria in the mouth.
- Slowly chew a tablespoon of fennel to freshen your breath and stimulate the production of saliva.
- You can also drink fennel tea a couple of times a day. To make this tea, steep one or two teaspoons of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes.
Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, an essential oil that not only covers up bad breath, but also reduces the amount of bacteria in your mouth.
To treat bad breath follow this remedy twice daily.
- Boil one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- You may add some bay leaves and cardamom too.
- Strain the solution and use it as a mouth rinse to refresh your breath.
Fenugreek tea is highly effective when bad breath is caused by catarrhal infections.
- Boil a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water.
- Strain and drink this tea once daily until you get rid of the problem.
Cloves help freshen your breath and also have antibacterial properties that are very helpful in getting rid of bad breath.
- The easiest method is to pop a few pieces of cloves into your mouth and chew them thoroughly. This will eliminate bad breath in a few minutes.
- You can also make clove tea. Boil a cup of water, add one teaspoon of ground cloves and allow it to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink the tea or use it as a mouthwash twice a day.
Parsley contains chlorophyll that can help neutralize bad breath.
- Simply chew on a fresh parsley sprig to refresh your breath. You can also dip this herb in vinegar and then chew it thoroughly.
- Another option is to put parsley leaves through a juicer and sip the juice anytime you need to refresh your breath. It will also aid digestion.