The most sensitive part of the body, which always has a threat of getting chapped and dried, is lips. As winters advances, the problem of chapping and dryness of lips increases even more. Moreover, cracked and desiccated lips lose their gloss swiftly, and are not good to look at. Such lips can even get infected very easily. To look good and to liberate yourself from getting any kind of infection, it is essential to give proper care and treatment to the lips. So, if you want to get stunning lips, like Angelina Jolie, follow the natural remedies given in the article.
Causes of Dry and Chapped Lips
There are certain causes that lead to dry and chapped lips, such as:
- Licking lips again and again
- Improper care of lips
- Breathing through mouth
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (a chemical that is widely found in toothpastes)
- Excess consumption of vitamin A
- Acid present in citrus fruits
- Dry cold or heat
- Exposure to sun
- Cosmetic products
- Certain medications and conditions, like thyroid, psoriases, diabetes and Down’s syndrome
- Excessive smoking
- Change in climatic conditions
Home Remedies for Dry and Chapped Lips
The following home remedies would help you out in curing chapped and dry lips, naturally.
1. Sugar : Sugar is a natural softener, which exfoliates the dead cells of the chapped lips and restores their smoothness. Mix some sugar with one teaspoon of honey and apply the paste on your lips. Then, with the help of your fingers, gently rub the mixture around the lips to slacken off the dead cells. Let it rest for a few seconds and then, wash it with lukewarm water.
2. Honey : Honey is a great moisturizer to heal the cracked and chapped lips. It has anti-bacterial properties, which treat the lips well. Simply apply pure honey on lips, several times a day. Honey can also be mixed with glycerine and applied on the lips.
3. Rose Petals : The rose petals can also come to rescue when your lips are in need of protection. To use rose petals as lip softener, wash a handful of leaves in water and soak them in milk or glycerine for a few hours. Make a thick paste and apply it each night, before going to bed. This home remedy is the best cure for dry lips, and it also enhances shine and gloss of lips.
4. Coconut Oil : Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help heal chapped lips, caused by cold or dry weather. Simply apply pure coconut oil, several times a day, on your lips to keep them moist. You can also use olive oil or mustard oil.
5. Castor Oil : Application of castor oil, several times a day, is also a good treatment for severely dry and chapped lips. You can also apply a mix of few drops of lemon juice and glycerine before going to bed. It should be washed off with a cotton ball, soaked in warm water.