1. Cold Water
Stop a burn from spreading by running cold water over the burn area for several minutes within seconds of being burned.
You can also place a cold compress over the affected area. Repeat the remedy every few hours to relieve the discomfort. Do not use ice as it can restrict blood flow, which can eventually cause damage to the delicate tissues.
2. Raw Potato
Raw potato can treat minor skin burns due to its anti-irritating and soothing properties. It will alleviate the pain and reduce the chance of having blisters.
- Simply cut a slice of raw potato and rub it on the burn, making sure the juice from the potato is releasing over the area.
- Another option is to grate a raw potato and apply it on the affected area for about 15 minutes.
For best results, use either of these remedies soon after the burn occurs.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has astringent and tissue-healing properties that can help in healing burns.
- Cut a small piece of the aloe vera leaf and apply the fresh gel directly on the burn.
- You could also mix one teaspoon each of aloe vera gel and turmeric and then apply.
If you do not have an aloe vera plant, you can apply a cream that has aloe vera as an ingredient.
4. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
Coconut oil and lemon juice both can help treat a minor burn when it has cooled and dried. Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids such as lauric acid, myristic acid and caprylic acid that offer anti-fungal, antioxidant and anti-bacterial benefits. Lemon juice has acidic properties that naturally lighten the scars.
Take coconut oil and add a little lemon juice to it. Mix it properly and apply it on the affected area to facilitate healing.
Honey can effectively disinfect wounds and help heal burns, thanks to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also reduces the chances of developing hypertrophic scars.
- Spread honey on a gauze bandage and put it directly on the burn.
- Change the bandage three to four times a day.
6. Black Tea Bags
The tannic acid in black tea can help draw heat out of a burn and thus reduce pain.
- Steep three tea bags in a pitcher filled with warm water for a few minutes. Allow the solution to cool and then soak a clean cloth in it and place it on the affected area. Re-apply as needed.
- You can also put cold, wet tea bags directly on the burn.